Sunday 23 February 2014

DRAKE SMEW?

Being a "stubborn kinda fellow" it still rankled that I hadn't been able to connect with it. Louise was having a pamper day with her daughter...so there was nothing else for it. I set off early and arrived on site around 8.30. I tried the usual spots and gave the lad a good walk and swim but again there was no sign of it.

Never mind!

Plenty of Goldeneye and Goosander...both superb species, enhanced by the close views...








I gave it till around 11.30 then I headed for Asda for a bit of lunch.

OK, lets try again. Most of the information I'd received pointed to the bridge over the River Calder on the  A636 Denby Dale road as the best bet. So that's were I headed...again! I got out of the car and walked up to the bridge. Checked the west side. Same story. Plenty of Goldeneye and a few Goosanders. Lets try the other side for the last time. I eventually made it across the road and scanned the river...

BINGO!
I'd looked for this beauty for over 10 hours on three separate visits. Great to find the "White Nun" at last!

It's a Cracker!






A superb bird BUT very elusive and skittish. I managed to rattle a few off before a dog walker flushed it and it shot off down the river with a pair of Goldeneye...


I decided to be greedy and see if I could find it. So I went back to the car to get Bud and we set off down river. When we eventually reached the bend I lifted the bins and there it was again in the distance...


Enough was enough and I let it be...

No comments: