Sunday 16 February 2014

Barn Owl

I spent a pleasant hour near Patrington this afternoon in the company of a Barn Owl. It was hunting in a pasture with a small copse fringing the field. I positioned myself against a fence post and waited. The sun was kind and stayed out most of the time. It was elusive and stayed mostly in amongst the trees, which it used as a vantage point...


On a couple of occasions it surprised me by appearing from behind the hedge. I could actually hear it's wings! Of course I was too slow to react.

With patience however (one of my strong suites) I was able to get some decent shots as it hunted the area.

First along the far hedge...


Then a bit closer...


On the ground with kill...


Backlit...


Then a couple of flybys...




Love this species...and plenty of them around here...

2 comments:

Barry Bishop said...

Great photos Alan.
Spent the last couple of afternoons at NDC, no sign of a barn owl for ages. Lots of water and it is still coming over the bank!

Alan Whitehead said...

Cheers Barry. Struck lucky with the light!