Monday 15 April 2013

Unlucky...no way!

Just woke after a loooooooooooooooong journey. Louise is titivating so I've time to write an initial holiday blog post. Texted my son to wish him happy birthday...is he really 28!!!

I then received a MEGA text from RBA informing me of a BAIKAL TEAL at Flamboro'!!! Rather unfortunate timing ...for me. This has happened before   BLUE-CHEEKED BEE-EATER, STILT SAND for example. Would I swap it for 3 weeks in Texas? What do you think!

Good news...bad weather on Thursday! So I've changed our itinerary and we're staying NE for the first week. I've always wanted to experience a good "fall". Hopefully I will this time.

Target bird today...amongst others...

Swallow-tailed Kite




Say no more...what a bird!!!

I will obviously be taking plenty of photos but I won't be posting them on the blog for various reasons, the main one being time. I will do a trip review on return...not to long I promise! For now though I'll post images from the web just to liven up the posts.

Wish me luck...


Stop press...yesterday. An ABA Lifer and 2 Texas ticks...


For those lucky enough to go on our shorebird tour today, a great ABA bird was on hand. At Skillern Tract (part of Anahuac NWR) a female RUFF (Reeve) was found foraging in a wet grassy field with hundreds of other shorebirds included 21, first of the season, HUDSONIAN GODWITS! This field is the first wet field on your left as you turn off of road 1985. Other shorebirds in the field include; STILT SANDPIPER, LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER, BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER (2 fly-bys), WILSON’S PHALAROPE, DUNLIN, PECTORAL SANDPIPER, BAIRD’S SANDPIPER, LEAST SANDPIPER, WESTERN SANDPIPER, GREATER & LESSER YELLOWLEGS, and even a WHIMBREL, an incredible number of shorebirds for a single field. Across the road many FULVOUS-WHISTLING DUCKS sounded like rubber ducks while foraging in the marsh.


As previously posted...you can follow sightings from High Island here


No comments: