Tuesday 30 April 2013

Back East

Had a fantastic time out West. Finally connected with my "life" Gray Vireo at Blue Creek Canyon, Big Bend. Also saw Phainopepla



Pyrrhuloxia...



and the superb Varied Bunting...



A truly special place were you definitely get away from it all! It took us 90 minutes to drive from Alpine into the park. We packed it in to a full day. Really you need at least 3 to do it justice...but not this time. We also spent the previous afternoon in the Davis Mountains enjoying the mountain air and a good selection of species.

So, the final chapter now. 3 days along the coast based back here in Galveston. Hoping to catch up with a few more species I haven't seen in this Birding paradise of a state. Namely Bay-breasted, Mourning and Cape May Warblers plus Bobolink.

Really though that's the icing on the cake. For me it's just about enjoying the birds, Galveston and the Bolivar Peninsular.

STOP PRESS: A Masked Duck...
 

has just been found at Sabal Palms in southernmost Texas!!! I was there last week. That would have been another Lifer. My luck continues! Another "Nemesis" bird. Second time I've missed this bird.
I don't think I could convince Louise to travel the length of Texas for that one!

Never mind!?

That's all for now...


No comments: