Sunday 13 January 2013

Great Moment

Started to the north at Hilston and quickly picked up a group of fine Yellowhammers (P.71). BIG bonus came in the form of a male Merlin (P.72) shooting across the stubble! Greylag Goose (P.73) was also added here.

I then gave Phil a ring and asked if he fancied trying for the Treecreeper at "Big Wood". He did, so we met in With' and headed out there. We gave it a good hour but couldn't locate it or much else...although we did flush a few Woodcock.

We returned via snakey lane and I managed to locate a decent group of Fieldfare (c.80) but no Redwing could be filtered from the mass. Sods law deemed that more Yellowhammers (H. 29) appeared in the same tree...after going up to Hilston! Still they were a village Lifer (123)!!...Stock Dove (H30, L.124) being another. Finally viewed a Kestrel (H.31) within the village boundary.

After lunch I had a walk with Bud south along the beach from Easington. We reached Beacon Ponds after much swimming in the sea...the dog that is! I started to scan with the bins for the reported Whooper Swan. A couple were distant so I walked nearer...all Mute.

Then came one of those moments that remind me why I do this. I was just about to leave and decided to have one last scan...over the wall came a Swan...a Whooper Swan (S.51, P.74).





No comments: