Back home after the festivities. Weather 'up north' has been horrendous. Still had plenty of snow at mother's over Christmas and now we have thick fog back here...not great for Birding!
Anyway, thought I'd post a summary of my Birding Year...in the traditional manner.
1. Without doubt pride of place must go to the Red-backed Shrike seen at North Duffield Carrs on the 24th May.
2. Fantastic trip to Spain at Easter visiting the superb Extremadura. Finally enabling me to see Great Bustard and plenty of raptors, amongst others...with a bonus 5 days due to a certain volcanic eruption!
3. Kirtland's Warbler seen in early August at Greyling, Michigan had to be the surprise highlight of our amazing trip to the NE US. Managed to add 18 species to my ABA list, now standing at 641.
4. Empid Flycatcher seen at Blakeney Point. If ever a bird was earned, this was it...first day by five minutes!
5. British list additions Lesser Kestrel, Marmora's Warbler, (House Finch), above!
Non-birding high spot was undoubtedly fulfilling my life long dream by visiting the Motown museum in Detroit.
So that's it. Concise as always. Here's to 2011. Belt tightening here, it's going to be a tough year. Hope you didn't vote for 'em!?
Report of ***DUSKY THRUSH*** present in a private garden for 2 weeks during December!!!